Fill in the definite or indefinite article if necessary:
- a. This house is very nice. Has it got _______ garden? b. It‟s a beautiful day. Let‟s sit in ________ garden.
- I like living in this house but it‟s a pity that ______ garden is so small.
- Can you recommend _______ good restaurant? b. We had dinner in_______ very nice restaurant.
- We had dinner in ______ most expensive restaurant in town.
- She has ______ French name but in fact she‟s English, not French.
- What‟s _______ name of that man we met yesterday?
- We stayed at a very nice hotel – I can‟t remember ___ name now.
- There isn‟t _______ airport near where I live _______ nearest airport is 70 miles away.
- Our plane was delayed. We had to wait ________ airport for three hours.
- Excuse me, please. Can you tell me how to get to _____ airport?
- a «Are you going away next week?» «No _______ week after next.»
- I’m going away for ________ week in September.
- George has a part-time job. He works three mornings ________ week.
Use the proper article:
1.Come to … blackboard and write … Exercise 12.
2.You have … spelling mistake in … word “nursery”.
3.He is … old friend of mine.
4.There came … tap at … door and in another moment we saw … small girl enter … room.
5.He is young artist and, I should say, rather talented.
6.He gave her … cigarette and lighted it.
7.I don‟t feel … sympathy towards this man.
- They are going to build … new house. 9.Are … rooms in your flat large or small?
- … hour is a long time. In … hour you can read … newspaper, or write … letter.
11.What … beautiful music he is playing!
12.In every remark he found … meaning but not always the true meaning.
13.There is … curiosity in her look.
- … Sand fords have … nice house … house isn‟t large but comfortable.
Find the right answer.
For example: Sue was very helpful. She gave me some good advice / advices („advice‟ is right)
- Margaret has very long black hair/hairs.
- We had a very good weather / very good weather when we were on vacation.
- Can I help you with your luggage / luggages?
- I want to write some letters. I need a / some
- I want to write some letters. I need a / some writing paper.
- It‟s very difficult to find a work / job at the moment.
- Bad news don‟t / doesn‟t make people happy.
- Our travel / trip from Paris to Frankfurt by train was very interesting.
- The apartment is empty. We don‟t have any furnitures / furniture
- When the fire alarm rang, there was a complete chaos / complete chaos.
- Can I talk to you? I need an / some
- Do you have any experience / experiences?
Fill in the definite or indefinite article if necessary:
- There are three rooms and … kitchen in her new flat.
- My new dress is made of … silk.
- If you want to write something on … blackboard, you must have … piece of … chalk.
- Are there any students in … Room No. 12?
5.I have … new English book … book is very interesting.
6.There is … garden and … lawn in front of her Institute. … garden is not large, but it is very beautiful.
7.The students of your group must be in … Room №30.
- Open … book at page 29 and start reading.
- May is … fifth month of the year.
- Saturday is … day off.
Fill the sentences with under words. Put the article „the‟ is necessary. (school, university, hospital)
- Why aren‟t your children at school today? Are they ill?
- When he was younger, Ted hated … .
- What time does … start in the mornings in your country?
- A: How do your children get home from …? By bus?
- No, they walk … isn‟t very far.
- What sort of job does Jenny want to do when she leaves … ?
- There were some people waiting outside … to meet their children.
- In your country, do many people go to …?
- If you want to get a degree, you normally have to study at … .
- This is only a small town but … is the biggest in the country.
- Nora works as a cleaner at … .
- When Ann was ill, we all went to … to visit her.
- My brother has always been very healthy. He‟s never been in
- Peter was injured in an accident and was kept in … for a few days.
Circle a or an in the following sentences. Write “C” on the left if the sentences is correct. Write “NC” if the sentences is not correct. Correct the error.
_____ 1. Indonesia is a country made up of thousand of islands.
______2. Greenland is an big island with a permanent ice cap covering it.
______3. The Bahamas, which consist of 700 islands, have a superb climate.
______4. Robinson Crusoe is a character in a book by Daniel Defoe.
______5. Robinson Crusoe spent twenty years with his friend Man Friday on a uninhabited island.
______6. New Guinea is a country where there are a 700 languages.
______7. Etna is an active volcano on the island of Sicily.
______8. On the island of Borneo, there is a snake that can fly or leap up to 20 meters.
______9. The plants and an animals that live on an island may develop to be quite different.
Fill in the blanks with the correct article a, an, the or Ǿ and translate them.
- Island make up ___ entire land area of some countries, including ___ Japan and ___ Philippines.
- ___ Florida Keys are coastal islands built on coral reefs.
- ___ Mackinac Island in ___ Lake Michigan is ___ lake island.
- ___ city of Montreal, in ___ Canada, is built on ___ large river island.
- ___ Aleutain Islands, part of ___ Alaska, are ___ string of coastal islands that were built by ___ volcanoes.
- On ___ big island of Hawaii is one of ___ world‟s greatest volcanoes, ___ Mauna Loa.
- Kilauea is ___ most active volcano in ___ state of ___ Hawaii.
- The early settlers of ____ Pacific Islands, ____ Polynesians, always carried ____ coconuts with them in their canoes.
- In ___ Indonesia is ___ huge lizard, _____ Komodo Dragon, that eats deer and attacks people.
- ___ dodo, a giant bird now extinct, lived on ___ island of Mauritius, in ___ Indian Ocean.